Yesterday, we spent a lazy Sunday afternoon watching a 3D movie at our friends’ house. It was a little overcast so the perfect weather to cuddle up on the couch with some pizza and a bottle of red wine. (Just as a side note, the movie we watched was The Lorax…so not exactly action packed…but us girls loved it! The guys not so much. But it was beautifully bright and full of colour, and a very sweet story and I would highly recommend it, if you are into that kind of thing.)
So I wanted to take a small sweet treat, and what goes better with a movie than popcorn? And what is better than ordinary popcorn? Yes of course, popcorn lathered in chocolate and caramel. It is a super simple treat to make, and ready in no time at all. I found some small noodle boxes, so it was the perfect individual treat.
Chocolate & Caramel Popcorn
200g chocolate of your choice
200g caramel bits
2 tbs vegetable oil
½ cup popping corn
- Heat the vegetable oil in a heavy bottom saucepan over a medium heat until hot. To test the oil drop two or three popping corns into the saucepan and when they pop the oil is hot enough.
- Add the rest of the popping corn and gently shake the saucepan to prevent the corn from burning.
- Leave the lid slightly ajar to help the steam escape.
- The popping corn will take just a few minutes to pop, and once there is a few seconds delay between each ‘pop’ it is ready.
- Once the popcorn is ready, melt your chocolate in separate bowls.
- Add the popcorn in small batches to the melted chocolate and using a slotted spoon shake off excess chocolate and leave the popcorn to dry on a plate.
- Repeat the process until all the chocolate is finished.
…be fearless, and have fun!