‘Savoury Sundays’ is a new idea I wanted to give a go after a friend of mine asked me for a recipe for a risotto I made for us the other day. As I was writing out the recipe, I thought hang on, this is exactly why I started my blog in the first place. So although my blog is predominantly for the sweeter things in life, this is really just to share a quick idea each week of something savoury I have made, because I do also love cooking savoury! By no means is it meant to be gourmet style food, simply to share some food ideas and hopefully provide some inspiration.
This recipe is one of my husband’s favourite salads, and mine also for that matter as the star of the show is fried haloumi, and one of my absolute favourite things. The balsamic vinegar reduction goes perfectly with the strawberry and one of my favourite salad dressings to make. It is quick and easy to make and can be used in most salads.
Strawberry, haloumi and bacon salad with balsamic vinegar reduction:
pack of haloumi
4 rashers of bacon
1 cup balsamic vinegar
½ cup brown sugar
- Balsamic vinegar reduction: combine the vinegar and brown sugar in small saucepan and stir over medium heat until the sugar has dissolved. Let the reduction simmer for about 2-3 minutes or until it has reduced down and thickened. (It should have the same consistency as maple syrup).
- Cut the haloumi into 1cm thick slices and fry over medium heat until brown. Take off the heat and season with salt and pepper and a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Cut the bacon into small pieces and fry.
- Hull and slice the strawberries.
- Combine all the ingredients in a salad bowl and dress with the balsamic vinegar reduction right before serving.
…be fearless, and have fun!