I love to cook. I also love fresh, healthy, and tasty food. On the weekends I don’t mind spending hours in the kitchen preparing good meals from scratch. I find it rather relaxing. But during the week I want to achieve the same results, but don’t have lots of time to sacrifice. So I am always trying out things that tastes amazing but can be made with minimum effort. I also look for things where I can skimp on the starch, but still have something that is filling.
So this dish ticks all my mid-week boxes: fresh, healthy, filling, fast and effortless. I’ve used chicken, but lamb or even fish will taste just as nice. I’ve made my own pesto for this, but a store bought tub will quicken the whole process up even more. I’ve given a list of vegies below that I used, but use whatever your preference just keep in mind that it should all be able to cook in roughly the same amount of time.
Pesto Chicken & Vegetable Skewers
makes 4 skewers (enough for two people)
500g chicken breast, cubed
1 red capsicum
8 button mushrooms
1 red onion
4 baby yellow squash
4 bamboo skewers
1 cup fresh basil leaves
¼ cup pine nuts
2 tbs olive oil
2 tbs grated parmesan (optional)
salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat your oven to 180°C.
- Cube the chicken breast into approximately 4cm pieces. I sealed the chicken first, for colour but also to ensure it is cooked through at the same time the vegies are cooked. To do this heat some olive oil in a pan over high heat and add the cubed chicken. Toss around for 2-3 minutes and season with salt and pepper.
- To prepare the vegies, cut the courgette into 2cm slices. Cut the red onion in halve. Cut the red capsicum in halve and then in quarters.
- To assemble: start with a button mushroom, then alternate a piece of each of the other vegetables and a cube of chicken, and finish with another button mushroom.
- Place the finished skewers on a baking tray, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake the skewers for 20-30 minutes until the vegetables are tender (but still has a little bit of crunch) and the chicken is cooked through.
- To make the pesto: toast the pine nuts over a medium heat until they start browning, approximately 5 minutes. Add the pine nuts and basil leaves to a food processor and blitz until chunky. Add the olive oil, parmesan if using and salt and pepper. Process until everything is combined, only a few seconds.
- When the skewers are cooked, plate on a bed of salad leaves and pour over the pesto sauce. Serve immediately.
…be fearless, and have fun!