Baby is due in a week (eeek!) and I’m back on the peanut butter train. For the first three months of my pregnancy the only thing I could stomach was colby cheese slices and crackers, and for someone who loves food as much as I do this was torture. Then out of nowhere this insatiable appetite appeared, and it has been hard fuelling this bottomless pit ever since! I got teased mercilessly at work when I had to start eating three breakfasts some mornings just to get me past morning tea. I quickly started matching my husband’s dinner plates, most of the time surpassing him. I could not believe how much food I was putting away. And most of it healthy and full of sustenance (I was always conscious about what ever I’m putting in my mouth was getting to baby too) there has been a lot of sweet treats too. I decided early on that I was not going to feel guilty about how much I was eating, and obviously growing a baby takes a lot more energy than I thought because I still don’t know how I have not gained 50 kilos by now!
But now that baby’s arrival is imminent, the realisation that I can no longer hide behind the excuse of being pregnant, the cake intake is going to have to seriously be downsized. So as a last hoorah I made some chocolate cupcakes with peanut butter frosting. And I could not keep my hands off the frosting. Luckily there was some left over and I was racking my brain to think what else I could lather it on, when in the end I was happy just eating it with a spoon. The frosting is super indulgent but obviously justifiable as a once-in-a-while treat, it is light and fluffy and will easily spread on brownies or sandwiched between chocolate biscuits. I paired it with my favourite chocolate recipe, devil’s food cupcakes.
Devil’s Food Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting
makes 12 cupcakes
90g dark chocolate
2 tbs cocoa powder
¾ cup water
125g butter, softened
⅓ cup sour cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup dark brown sugar
½ cup plain flour, sifted
½ cup self-rising flour, sifted
pinch of salt
½ tsp baking soda
Peanut Butter Frosting
1 cup icing sugar
1 cup smooth peanut butter
80g butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla extract
2tbs thickened cream
- Pre-heat your oven to 160°C.
- Over medium heat, stir together the chocolate, cocoa and water until the chocolate has melted and the mixture is smooth. Leave for about 10 minutes to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl add together all the rest of the ingredients and add the cooled chocolate mixture. Mix together on a low speed until all the ingredients are incorporated then increasing the speed, beat together for about a minute until the mixture starts becoming paler in colour. (It will be rather runny, don’t be alarmed at this, it’s what it is meant to be like. I pour the batter into a measuring cup for the next step, it’s easier to pour into the muffin tray rather than using a utensil).
- Line a muffin tray with paper cups and pour each cup two thirds full.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Let the cupcakes cool while making the frosting.
- To make the peanut butter frosting: combine the icing sugar, peanut butter, softened butter and vanilla extract and beat together until light and fluffy (approximately 5 minutes). Add the cream (I used thickened cream but you could use pouring cream too) and beat for a further 2 minutes.
- Once the cupcakes are cooled pipe the frosting. The cupcakes will keep well for two days in an airtight container.
…be fearless, and have fun!